Upon reflecting on this observation, I realised that my friend, more than simply trying to criticise and intimidate those who are labeled apathetic, raised a point that is worth hearing. Self-reflection is a good thing in that it helps those who are actually able to take a break from daily routine to understand themselves more and allows them to identify areas in their lives that need improvement. But oftentimes, we are unable to move away from ourselves to think of the lives of other people, our communities and broader society in general. We always reason that we are burdened enough by our personal concerns and problems that is why there is no more time left to even think of things 'outside' us.
For Christians, having our daily quiet times and devotionals is non-negotiable if we are to grow in faith; but when we begin to think that this is the only measure of spiritual growth, we do not only become legalistic but also selfish. Knowing God - achieved by reading His Word - is crucial, but we cannot forever be stuck in just doing that, in just being interested in what God wants for our individuals lives, in what He has to say in response to personal complaints we do not even think twice to lay down.
In anything, we always need to start somewhere. (Self)-reflection is one of those, I agree. We cannot by-pass this stage if we truly want to get somewhere not only in our spiritual lives but also in our social lives (by social, I do not mean only our friendships and relationships in our immediate circle, but also to include greater soceity - our nation). How can one resolve to be involved in greater matters when the matter concerning oneself remain unresolved? Perhaps, therein lies the need for self-reflection.
I am raising this point because I realised how detached I have become from my social reality; how postgraduation, I have not really made efforts to know what is actually happening even when I am not busy doing anything actually productive. I have always took pride in the fact that I am a social science major - a Development Studies major to be precise - one trained to understand varied social issues and to work in coming up with interventions meant to bring about 'development'. I always say I am an activist, that I am far from apathetic, when in truth, I am slowly becoming disinterested in knowing what is happening. I don't know what exactly is happening in my country anymore; all I know is that there is a problem - a very general, vague image of poverty - that needs to be addressed. I don't know how it looks anymore; I don't know how it smells anymore. I do not want to excuse myself by saying, things have not changed - that poverty still has the same depressing face.
Every single Filipino knows that, but most have been demystified. Most have become hopeless. I am scared, even ashamed to admit, that at times I become both - demystified and hopeless.
I have very high standards when it comes to anything. Including this...among many things this ideal. For me, this is not permissible. I cannot be disinterested, I cannot be demystified, I cannot allow myself to even think that it is hopeless, not so much because I studied to become a development worker, but more so, because I am a Christian. My faith cannot just say it is hopeless for my community, my society, my country. My faith cannot and should not say, hope is reserved for me and me alone, because it just isn't.
John 3:16 reminds me that God wants to redeem the whole world. I realised that as Christians, our call is to take part in actively 'redeeming' the world. Our purpose in life is to be used by God to bring that change not only spiritually but in other matters including working to reach out to those whom God leads us to.
Faith must move us to take action. Faith must move us away from ourselves, not away from self-reflection per se, but from an attitude that paralyses us with hopelessness. Our relationship with God is about being transformed into the image of our Saviour Jesus Christ and if we really are being conformed to his image, we cannot help but be concerned with the same things Jesus was concerned with. Yes, Jesus prayed and reflected but unlike most of us, his faith in the Father fueled his desire to reach out to those in the margins of society.
Our faith must to the same with us.
Luke12:48-49 - Much will be required of the person entrusted with much,
and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.
"I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!"
No comments:
Post a Comment