I bought 3 books the other day. I have to read as much as I can.
These are the books I'll be reading this month:
1) A Cry for Mercy by Henri Nouwen - Nouwen is a priest who spent a few months at a monastery in upstate New York. The book is a collection of prayers during his stay in the monastery. I've started reading the book. His prayers are touching; they cover struggles in faith that I thought were unique to myself.
2) The Judges by Elie Wiesel - Wiesel is Holocaust surivivor and is perhaps one of the most moving authors I have read. His work, Night, (which I had to read in my Political Philosophy class under Fr. David back in college), is a memoir on the days he spent in several Nazi concentration camps including Auschwitz where members of his family where mercilessly annihilated in gas chambers. The Judges is a powerful novel that reflects the philosophical, religious and moral questions that are at the heart of Elie Wiesel's work.
3) The Body Artist by Don Delilio - I haven't read any of Delilio's works so I cannot say much. I'm excited to read this book though. Oh yea, I saw another novel by him but it was too think I thought, I'd buy it for next month.
4) The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Fraz Kafka - After Dostoevsky, I don't know why I picked Kafka. Probably cos he's also Czech like Milan Kundera, (although Kundera is half-French) and after reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being, I got interested in Czech history. He came from a middle-class Jewish family like Elie Wiesel. Hmmm...interesting. I actually like Jewish writers/philosophers - Elie Wiesel, Franz Kafka (I just know I'll like him hehe), Emmanuel Levinas, Hannah Arendt.
There you go. I have enough to feed my mind this month.
Off to Starbucks later. I should start reading; I need to stay out of the house and keep my mind off my worry, though I've lifted it to God in prayer this morning. And I've learned a few things from Him. He's so good :)
18 comments:
Waaah! I'm so jealous! I want to read those novels too! Argh. You're going to love Kafka, I promise.;) I've always been intrigued with Nouwen, but I haven't actually read any of his works.:( Basta, dibs ako with those books!:D
you read those books, i'm gonna read Narnia... which reminds me: nadine, borrow po!:D
Hehe :D I'm halfway through both A Cry for Mercy and The Judges. The Judges is so disturbing. I dunno how exactly you should read it. Parang every page you have to reflect on the themese Wiesel presents but then I was thinking naman if you do that, you lose the point of the whole story.
Feeling ko mga 5 years from now ko pa sya maiintindihan haha :D
Marl! I'll bring Narnia on Tuesday siguro. Hehe I haven't finished the other 3 books :(
I'll lend Nouwen to both of you :) I want his other books rin but they're expensive! Huwaaaahhhh!!
:((
Wait, is that the same Nouwen who wrote The Prodigal Son?
Yes dear I wanna strat with it na :D heehee
By the way, did you get the text I sent nung Saturday? Fievel's, the mouse from American Tail, favoriet book is BROTHERS KARAMAZOV! Goodness... who would have thought a tot mouse would read that?! :p wehehe labyu sistah :D
So cool! You're finally going to read Narnia. Yaaaaaay! You are so going to love it. Problem is, I still haven't bought the second book (or seventh, depending on who you're listening to :p) yet, so make do with the six until I drop by the bookstore to grab a copy.:D
Zy, if you really want to read weird books, go for James Joyce, especially Ulysses. Danton only understood it when he read it while having a 41-degree fever.:D
Yeah, Zy! So cool. That message with American Tail was patama to the three of us.:D Right, Marl?:D
The American Tail message? wehehe It does make patama to you lani and nadine. I dunno about me :p hmm, maybe that I should start reading? :p
Margarett, what kind of animal is Fievel?:D
Lani, Fievel is a MOUSE... ooooh, a MOUSE!!!
haha, syempre NGAYON lang nag-sink in sa akin yun... *one tugushk for marley*
oh yeah, Fievel's our man! :d
Correction: our rodent.:D
Marl: Yip, I got that message :) Didn't I reply? heehee :) I sooo proud of him he loves karamazov weeehhh!!! :)
Sana my future kids would love it too!!! :D
Pero unahin muna nila dapat Narnia haha! :D
Huwait!! I don't get it! Why is Fievel you're man??
Hindi ko na naman nakuha... @_@
Yes, it's the same Nouwen who wrote The Return of the Prodigal Son :) Asteeg noh? :D
Margarett: Bought "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" already.:) Gave it to Zy-za, so get the entire set from her, alright?
Nadine: Hmmm... Remember a certain colored text thing in Burgoo during your birthday?
Btw, Marl, did you happen to get a copy of "The Prodigal Son"? Can I borrow?:D
nadine: do you remember my MOUSIE? :D heehee (just thinking about it makes me so kilig!)nadine! we need to go next week! i need to see him! (ayan clue na yan! :p)
lani: i only have the photocopied book, the one i borrowed from Fr. Roche. i'll make hagilap sa house then I'll give it too you :D
lani uli: yey! shalamat! i wanna start reading it na :D
Ooohhhh....syempre slow na naman. Yip! I got it na! :D heehee MOUSE, RODENT, RAT :D
Marl: I want a copy of The Return of the Prodigal Son too! :) Okay lang kahit the photocopied version hehe :)
Yay! Photocopies! Revolt of the Third WOrld against First World intellectual property rights! haha! :)
heehee I'm going to photocopy Danielle's reading: Discipline and Punishment by Michel Foucault! At last! I'll get to read it na!! :D
GB girls! :D
Since we're using this as a message board, I will maximize :D:
Marl: What CDs are you going to borrow? I can't remember what I lent to you!:O
I'm pretty sure about the two Kutless CDs though.;)
Post a Comment