16 August 2005

Bum's Life

This will be major nonsene. I just want to write. I've been aching to write but my attempts to come up with a sensible piece worthy of being read have failed a couple of times the past week since I wrote my last bible reflection entry.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering where this thirst/hunger for reading is coming from. I don't think it actually stems from being a huge bum post graduation. I've been wanting to read non-stop, and I'm thankful that I'm given this opportunity now, [aside from the much much more precious opportunity, too, to know God more intimately (I'm learning lots from Blackaby...Really)] Even why I was in college, reading has been my form of relaxation. So it's like this, when you're studying you have to read and I, for my part, take a break from studying (reading) by yea...reading. For the life of me, I cannot understand why. I've disturbed some people enough including most of all, Elay and my family - they're scared that I might go insane with too much reading. Is that a possibility? For me, I mean. Maybe it is but then it's a remote one hihi. I'm far from being neurotic. I wouldn't consider some of my imaginations as indications of neurosis. Haha! I'm writing soooo much nonsense.

I'm planning to hoard books (again!) - Russian classics in particular. Hoarding books, by the way, is a hobby which my friend, RC, and I share and to some extent, with Elay too, although she never really gets to read all the books she buys hihi. Yes, we do spend our bonding sessions at Aeon Bookstore, checking out the philosophy, politics, culture, poetry - well practically all - shelves, just to satisfy our mutual craving for words and ideas. Most of the time though, we're broke, so we aren't able to buy all the books we want. We end up scouting for cheap editions in Booksale and we actually have succeeded in finding such a couple of times.

Back to Russian lit though. Reading Russian lit is a dream come true, although of course I haven't read all the Russian classics such as Gogol, Pushkin, Tolstoy, Chekov, etc. Back in college, I never had the time to seriously get into this. I'm glad I'm able to now and believe me, I'm beginning to dread the days when I start working. I'm already thinking whether I would still be able to read or not. I'm trying to finish Dostoevsky's works first although I've had a chance to read a few short stories by Chekov and Tolstoy. I'm searching for War and Peace by Tolstoy but I couldn't find one. I'm considering asking - rather, pleading - my aunt to buy me the books I want in the US since she'll be spending a month or two I guess in Chicago.

Yesterday I was interviewed by my cousin's group for their thesis about romance novels. Eeww eeww! I can't believe I read those. One of them asked what do I get from reading and if, at all, it helps me understand my country more. I must admit that my exposure to Filipino literature, whatever form, is very much limited. I couldn't help but ask myself why indeed do I privilege reading Western - foreign, in general - literature. I'm not a natinalist, yes, and I do admit that I have reservations with the whole concept of "nationalism". However, I won't get to that.

I'm just going to end by saying that, the more I read, the more I realise that I haven't read much at all, that I've read too little and know too little. Yea, I can only read and know so much in my lifetime, but I wouldn't pass any opportunity to know more and read more. Shoot! I do live inside my head don't I?

2 comments:

jarletofclay said...

If it makes you feel better, all people actually exhibit one form of neurosis -- although that doesn't automatically make them neurotic. Neurosis (according to my Crim Law prof), legally defined, means a behavior pattern exhibited by a person to adapt/cope with his/her environment; Cf, psychosis.

Here's from one nerd to another.:D

Z said...

Haha! :D that is a beri gud consolation :D